Interested in doing research at NUI Galway? We have many facilities available to those who need them. Find out what you'll have to work with.
Click below to view the facilities in each area:
Biomedical Science and Engineering Facilities
Environment, Marine and Energy Facilities
Informatics, Physical and Computational Sciences Facilities
- Mass spectrometer 1 - Agilent 6460 triple quadrupole LC/MS/MS system.
This instrument is the best system for quantitative analysis. It has capillary and nanoflow HPLC systems to maximise instrument sensitivity. Dr David Finns research group in pharmacology are major users and use it to quantify bioactive lipid mediators.
- Mass spectrometer 2- Agilent 6510 QTOF LC/MS/MS system.
This electrospray enabled system features sub 5 ppm mass accuracy in ms and ms/ms mode making it ideal for either proteomics, metabolomics and environmental applications. Best system for SILAC and iTRAQ proteomics applications.
- Mass spectrometer 3 - Bruker HCT Ultra ion trap with Electron Transfer Dissociation(ETD).
A high capacity ion trap with ultra fast scanning and ETD functionality and great sensitivity. Proteomics workhorse but can also be used for biomolecule or environmental quantitation. Best system for peptide phosphorylation site analysis.
- Mass spectrometry protocols.
Suggested resource for users to peruse foe methods etc
- Transmission Electron Microscope
- TEM section preparation - Ultracryomicrotome, Metal Mirror Cryofixation, Freeze Substitution
- Glass Knife Maker
- Scanning FT-IR Spectrometer with Microscope
- Atomic Force and Scanning tunnelling microscopy systems
- Impedance Spectrometer
- Confocal Microscope
- Raman Microscope
- Fluorescence lifetime equipment
- Nikon Fluorescent and Light Microscopes
- Inverted Fluorescent Microscope plus image analysis software
- MMI Laser Scanning Microscope
- Olympus Fluorescent Inverted Microscope with image capture software
- Olympus Fluorescent Upright Microscope with image capture software
- Optigrid Platform with Volocity 3D/4D image capture software
- Tissue processor
- Parrafin Wax embedder
- Rotary Microtome, float out bath
- Slide Staining equipment
DNA Analysis Laboratory Equipment
- Rapid Plate & Twister Arm Liquid Handling
- Agilent Bioanalyser
- Microarray Scanner and printer
- Real time quantitative PCR machine
- ABI 96 well real time PCR fast system
- Standard PCR set-up gel rigs and image capture & densitometry apparatus
- Bacterial cloning equipment - incubators & centrifuges
- Kodak IS4000MM Imaging system
Protein Vector Analysis Equipment
- GC/LC Mass Spectrometer with QTof
- Acta FPLC system for vector isolation
- Acta FPLC Chromatography system for liposome experiments
- N5 Submicron Particle Size Analyser Beckman Coulter
- High speed Sorvall and Beckmann centrifuges
- Nanodrop Spectrophotometer
- Ultra Low Temperature Freezers
- Plate readers, luminometry and fluorescence capabilities
- 2-D gel electrophoresis equipment and image analysis equipment
- 2 x Guava Easycyte System
- FACS Canto â„¢ and FACS Aria â„¢ Flow Cytometers
- Bio-Plex 200 System array & microplate reader
Materials and Mechanical Testing Equipment
- Differential Scanning Colorimeter (DSC)
- Origin 3800 High Performance Computer with SGI workstations
- Universal Stress Rheometer
- Coordinate Measurement Machine
- Dynamic Mechanical Thermal Analyser
- Sinterstation 2500plus Rapid Prototyper
- Femtosecond Laser
- Axial Torsion Testing Machine
- Nano-Indenter with AFM head
- Pin on Disc Tribometer
- High Frequency Fatigue machine
Tissue Culture Laboratories
- Fully equipped tissue culture suites (centrifuges, incubators, class II safety cabinets etc)
- Cell storage for master cell/virus banks
- Hypoxic Chamber
- Cell storage bar code identification and labelling software
- Controlled Rate Freezer
- Varian 920 HPLC system with IR detector and Cirrus Gel Permeation Chromatography software
- Varian 610-IR FTIR Microscope with ResolutionsPro software
- Malvern Nano ZS-90 Zeta Potential and Size analyser
- Biochrom amino acid analyser
- Virtis freeze driers
- Electrospinning rig and high voltage power supply
- Multiple illimination image documentation systemThermo Scientific Varioskan Flash Spectral
- Scanning Multimode Reader
- Varioskan Flash Spectral Scanning Multimode Reader with Skanit software (UV/Vis,
- flourescence, TRH, luminesence)
- Lab-on-a-chip reader for nucleic acid analysis.
- Nanodrop spectrophotometer
- Biaxial Mechanical Testing Equipment for Planar Tissues
- Quantitative Sterological Image Analysis System
The Informatics/GIS facility has the capability to process, manipulate, analyse and display spatial information. The facility consists of a GIS Training Suite, an informatics office suite, and a depository of imagery datasets.
Carron Field Research Station
The Carron Field research Station is located in the botanically and topographically unique Burren Region in North West County Clare. The station was established in"75 as a base for research personnel exploring the Burren, and is now also open for use by visiting parties. The station sleeps 24, has modernized cooking and dining accommodation, several meeting rooms, and a fully serviced teaching laboratory.
Mace Head Atmospheric Research Station
The Mace Head Atmospheric Research Station, in Carna, County Galway has been a site for atmospheric measurements since"58. The station offers westerly exposure to the North Atlantic ocean and the opportunity to study atmospheric composition under Northern Hemispheric background conditions, as well as European continental emissions when the winds favour transport from that region. Facilities include state-of-the-art aerosol and gas instrumentation, cloud and wave radar instrumentation, aerosol and meteorological profilers, micrometeorological flux equipment, and a marine meteorology and chemistry buoy facility.
Rapid Compression and Shock Tube Laboratories
The rapid compression and shock tube laboratories in NUI Galway include state-of-the-art experimental equipment to study the chemistry of combustion and its application to the development of energy-efficient engine and gas turbine combustion systems and the impact of their use on toxic and greenhouse gas emissions, thus helping address the problems of climate change.
- Raman spectroscopy/microscopy
- Fluorescence spectroscopy
- Fluorescence lifetime spectroscopy
- Reflectance spectroscopy
- Scanning White-Light Interferometry
Laser Materials Processing
- Marking Micro-machining Ultrafast (Femtosecond)
- Surface Activation
- Laser Ablation Computational Modelling
- Drilling Welding