Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Using your Cúpla Focal
Did you know that 10% of our students study Irish or study through Irish. And lots of our staff also like to speak Irish. Here's how you can get using your cúpla focal...
Follow these simple steps to get speaking Irish on campus...
Irish Conversation classes for staff 2016-2017
Acadamh na hOllscolaíochta Gaeilge are offering Irish classes to staff during the Academic year 2015-2016. Classes will be provided for all levels from beginners to advanced. To ensure that the classes meet the needs of participants, applicants will be invited to do a Placement Test to help us assess their level of fluency and to allocate them to the appropriate class.
Registration: Online, before Friday 9 September 2016
Date: Classes will commence on the week beginning 19 September 2016.
Venue: Áras na Gaeilge
Language Placement Test: This is a test designed to indicate which level will best suit your language needs by testing your language level. The questions are multiple-choice and the suggested time for the test is 20 minutes. It is advisable to do the test before you register for the Irish Classes.
Please click on the following link to begin the Language Placement Test: www.nuigalway.ie/acadamh/documents/triailsocteangacomhra.swf
These classes are free of charge.
- Monday 1-2pm ~ Room 211 – Beginners
- Tuesday 1-2pm ~ Room 116 – Improvers
- Wednesday 1-2pm ~ Room 116 – Intermediate
- Thursday 1-2pm ~ Seomra 211 – Ardrang
Peigí Ní Oibicín, Acadamh na hOllscolaíochta Gaeilge, Áras na Gaeilge.
091-493616 / peigi.nioibicinoegaillimh.ie
If you can carry out your job through Irish, why not display one of our special G signs on your desk. The sign reads: Seirbhís trí Ghaeilge ar fáil anseo (see the picture above), and can be obtained by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is your voicemail bilingual? Here are some simple sentences that you can include in your message...
- [Your name] anseo. Níl mé in ann do ghlaoch a thógáil faoi láthair, ach fág teachtaireacht le do thoil. (Listen here: Glórphost 1)
- [Your name] anseo. Fág teachtaireacht le do thoil agus déanfaidh mé teagmháil leat nuair a bheidh deis agam. (Listen here: Glórphost 2)
- Dia duit. [Your name] anseo. Ní féidir liom labhairt leat faoi láthair, ach fág teachtaireacht le do thoil agus glaofaidh mé ar ais ort. (Listen here: Glórphost 3)
Caifé Áras na Gaeilge
Did you know that Áras na Gaeilge has an Irish language café? Why not pop in and buy a cupán tae as Gaeilge?
Here are some simple steps to make your email more bilingual...
Is your email signature bilingual? It's easy to change it. If you're not sure of your job title or office name in Irish, search in the lists below.
If your job title or Office isn't on the list, please email: email@example.com
The name and address of the University in Irish is:
OÉ Gaillimh, Bóthar na hOllscoile, Gaillimh
To encourage people to email you in Irish, why not include the following image in your emails? Simply copy the image and paste it into your email signature.
Out of Office Reply
Next time you're away from the office, why not make your Out of Office Reply bilingual? Here are some examples of what you might like to write...
- Níl mé san oifig faoi láthair. Fillfidh mé [day], [number] [month]. I'm not in the office at present. I will return on [day], [number] [month].
- Beidh mé ar ais san oifig [day], [number] [month]. I am out of the office until [day], [number] [month].
- Tá mé ar saoire faoi láthair. Tabharfaidh mé freagra ar do r-phost nuair a fhillfidh mé [day], [number] [month]. I am on leave at present. I will reply to your email when I return on [day], [month] [year].
The days of the working week are: Dé Luain, Dé Máirt, Dé Céadaoin, Déardaoin, Dé hAoine
The months of the year are: Eanáir, Feabhra, Márta, Aibreán, Bealtaine, Meitheamh, Iúil, Lúnasa, Meán Fómhair, Deireadh Fómhair, Samhain, Nollaig.
NUI Galway Has Over:
- 18,000 students.
- 3,000 international students from 115 countries.
- 2,500 staff members.
- 120 links with universities across the globe.
- 90,000 alumni in 107 countries.
- 170 years experience providing university education.
NUI Galway Is:
- Irelands's top University for graduate employability with 96% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.
- The largest and oldest university in the west of Ireland.
NUI Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular literature, Theatre and Irish Studies