Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a rang of key areas of expertise.
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at NUI Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at NUI Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Funding (& Scholarships)
Important Note: Tuition fees are subject to change year-on year. The fee quoted for your programme is the current year fee. NUI Galway is not bound by any error or omission from the following information.
Financial support - grants, entrance scholarships, postgraduate scholarships, financial supports
Please note it is important that all fee accounts are paid when due. Reminders will normally be issued but it is the obligation of each student to ensure timely payment of fees. All registered students have live access to their fee accounts at all times.
Scholarships Undergraduate Programmes
Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships
Please see our Admissions Office website for up to date details on scholarships for 2016/17.
Financial Aid Fund
Postgraduate funding opportunities
Taught masters scholarship scheme for first-class students
The NUI Galway Taught Masters Scholarship Scheme is available again for students commencing studies in September 2016. Please click here for criteria and application information. T (091) 495 999 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Some courses have specific scholarships associated (follow links for more details):
- NEW: MA Humanities Scholarships (NUI Galway)—scholarships available for some of our MA Humanities programmes, full details here.
- NEW: PJ Mara Scholarships (for MA History and for MA Journalism), full details here.
- NEW: Scoláireacht an Ollaimh Gearóid Mac Eoin | Scoláireacht an Ollaimh Gearóid Mac Eoin - Gaeilge (for MA Old & Middle Irish).
- MA (Conference Interpreting)—our students have had good success with being awarded an EU bursary for this programme
- MA (Film Studies)—Pat Sheeran scholarship
- MA (Gender, Globalisation and Rights)
- Graduate programmes taught through Irish—Colm Ó hEocha Bursary
- MSc (Preventive Cardiology)—Croí Bursaries on offer
Universities Ireland North/South Postgraduate Scholarships 2016
Universities Ireland are offering four scholarships to students who have been accepted to undertake a recognised Master’s degree or are entering the first year of a PhD programme at a university in the island of Ireland that is not in the same jurisdiction as the university where they have previously studied. Now accepting applications for 2016; closing date 26 May. More information here
Other funding sources
The Government’s Graduate Skills Conversionprogramme offers reduced-fees for particular ICT programmes.
Similarly some of our courses are within the Springboard scheme for job-seekers (free educational places), which allows students to study part-time and thus retain their social protection supports.
Information on the NUI Awards and Scholarships 2015is online here. This website will update with detail on the 2016 scheme in December 2016.
Uversity offers masters' scholarship opportunities for Arts graduates, pursuing creative programmes. Full information here.
Global Study Awards(from Study Portals), nine awards on offer, an individual global study award has a maximum value of Stg.£10,000.
Please visit the International Office website for full details on NUI Galway's postgraduate scholarships for international students.
Funding opportunities video
Postgraduate Research Funding
Funding opportunities available through external sources:
- For information about Doctoral Research Scholarships currently available from the National University of Ireland please click here
- For information about NUI Travelling Studentships please click here
Irish Research Council (IRC)
Provides postgraduate funding to undertake a PhD programme in all disciplines, under the following schemes:
- Irish Research Council Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme: supports suitably qualified Research Masters and Doctoral candidates pursuing or intending to pursue full-time research in any discipline.
- Employment Based Postgraduate Programme: funding for companies to employ high-calibre Researchers to work onsite with them.
- Enterprise Partnership Scheme: fellowship co-funded by IRC and an Enterprise Partner) to offer researchers the opportunity to gain additional beneficial experience and insight into the commercial arena while completing their research
For further information on IRC funding and deadlines click here
- Doctoral Studentships: this scheme enables individuals to undertake a humanities or social science doctoral degree in any area of human and animal health. For further information click here
- Research Training Fellowships: this scheme supports medical, dental, veterinary or clinical psychology graduates who wish to undertake substantial training through high-quality research in an appropriate unit or clinical research facility, towards a PhD or MD qualification. For further information click here
Short-Term Funding Opportunities/ Travel Grants
- Fulbright Irish Student Awards: grants for Irish citizens or E.U. citizens resident in the Republic of Ireland for three or more years to conduct post-graduate research in the United States for a period of 4 months / 1 semester, up to 1 year. For further information click here
- Fulbright-Schuman Awards: for students or professionals to conduct graduate and post-graduate study, research, and lecturing in the fields of US-EU relations, EU policy, or EU institutions. Grants duration: minimum of 2 and up to 12 months. For further information click here
Ireland Canada University Foundation
- James M. Flaherty Research Scholarship: grant for PhD student or Postdoctoral academic to support a short visit to Canada (2-6 weeks) to conduct research. For further information click here
Further calls for funding can be accessed through Research Professional. If you are already a registered NUIG student, it is advisable that you create an account now. Students and graduates of NUI Galway can also access Careers Connect for currently open funded opportunities.
This information is intended as a guide only. Other funding may also be available through research grants to supervisors. Please check with your potential supervisor for these possibilities.
Information on financial support for further and higher education can also be viewed on the Higher Education Authority website studentfinance.ie
If you are aware of postgraduate research funding not currently listed on this page please email email@example.com