Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Leadership Development (Masters)
The Leadership programme aims to develop you as an effective and responsible leader who has the capacity to develop and implement strategic plans, lead and manage organisational change, enhance employee performance, engage in effective business negotiations, creatively solve complex problems and embed ethical approaches to deliver excellence.
The MSc in Leadership is competed in two stages:
Stage 1: You register for the 2-year Postgraduate Diploma in Leadership Development.
Stage 2: Following successful completion of the Postgraduate Diploma you are automatically registered for Year 3, Dissertation, in order to complete the MSc in Leadership Development
NB: Participants may exit with a Postgraduate Diploma on successful completion of 60 ECTS (after 2 years).
Applications and Selections
The closing date is 4-August 2017.Early application is advised as offers will be made on a rolling basis.A limited number of applications may be accepted after the official application closing date, subject to the availability of places.
NB: Candidates for entry may be required to attend for interview prior to being offered a place on the programme. The number of places is limited.
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
3 years, part-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
Next start date
Mode of study
Master of Business in Leadership Development
This course will help you build your professional competence, you will learn how to:
- Critically assess your personal strengths, characteristics and skills to define your leadership style;
- Employ a range of effective leadership competencies aimed at communicating a vision, creating a climate of trust, empowering people and taking responsibility;
- Instigate actions and solutions to successfully manage internal and external change;
- Challenge assumptions and perspectives to effectively manage information in ways that sustain relationships and enhance performance;
- Collaborate across the organisation to successfully implement strategies and plans that provide vision and direction;
- Leverage negotiation skills to successfully resolve complex situations and achieve productive solutions to conflicting and differing viewpoints;
- Motivate staff to embed a performance-oriented culture, individually and in teams, within internal and external environments;
- Integrate roles and responsibilities that are underpinned by value-based principles and ethical approaches.
You will have to attend 1-day and 2-day workshops throughout the academic year (see below). This usually amounts to 7-8 days in total.
|Modules - YEAR 1||ECTS||Workshops|
|Leading Organisational Change||10||2-days|
|Critical Thinking for Leaders||5||2-days|
|Modules - YEAR 2|
|Leading and Managing Strategically||10||2-days|
The Ethical Leader
|Modules - YEAR 3|
Why Choose This Course?
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job-seekers Benefit
- Job-seekers Allowance
- One-parent family allowance
- Disability allowance
- Community Employment Scheme
- Carer’s Allowance
- Signing for social insurance contribution credits
Please download the 2017_18 Fees Scholarship Form CALPDfor more information.
Find out More
Adult Training and Education Studies
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
Nuns' Island, Galway
Tel: 091 494055
Fax: 091 528905
ATES Postgraduate Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
ATES Undergraduate Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
ATES Short Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
Adult Learning Prospectus PDF (3.4 MB)
Postgraduate Taught Prospectus 2017 PDF (14 MB)
Postgraduate Research Prospectus 2017 PDF (6.4 MB)
Diploma Series Brochure PDF (1.6 MB)
Short Courses Series 2017 PDF (1.4 MB)