Higher Diploma (Business Studies)
J.E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics
This programme provides you with the fundamental skills to work in business, and will complement your existing degree. It also provides you with an opportunity for further postgraduate study, with exemptions provided from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) exams. For engineering graduates it is approved as part of the Engineers Ireland’s Registered Training Providers Programme.
The programme is open to degree holders other than holders of the BComm. degree (or equivalent) from a University or other recognised degree awarding body. Applicants should hold a NQAI Level 8 qualification or equivalent. International applicants who are not native speakers of English may be required to provide evidence of fluency. The minimum requirement is an IELTS score of 6.5.
1 academic year (September to May)
Next start date: September 2014
ECTS weighting: 60
Average intake: 50 (45 for EU citizens and 5 for non-EU citizens)
Closing date: Please refer to the offer rounds/closing date webpage.
Applications and selections
Who teaches this course?
Ms Patricia Martyn
Ms Orla McHugh
Ms Ann Walsh
Ms Johanna Fahy
Dr Gerard Turley
Mr Martin Hughes
Dr Elaine Wallace
Ms Maureen Maloney
Ms Deirdre Curran
Dr Natasha Evers
Mr Chris Barry
Ms Anna-Louise Hinds
Requirements and assessment
Who’s suited to this course
The Higher Diploma in Business studies is suitable for you if you:
- have an interest in business
- would like to pursue a career in business
- wish to pursue a Masters degree in business and you do not have a business undergraduate degree
- wish to complement your undergraduate degree with a business qualification
- like working in teams
- wish to develop your communication skills
The Higher Diploma in Business equips students with knowledge of the fundamentals of business that can be applied in any organisational setting. Upon graduation you will:
- have acquired skills in Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing, Economics and Information Systems
- be able to work effectively as an individual, in teams and in multi-disciplinary settings together with the capacity to undertake lifelong learning
- display mature literacy and comprehension of business subject matter
- be able to apply the concepts and skills learnt in a variety of business contexts
- identify, analyse and solve business problems
- be able to communicate effectively using written, oral or presentation skills
Fees for this course
EU (Total): €5,965 p.a. 2013/14 (inclusive of Levy)
- Tuition: €5,741 p.a. 2013/14
- Student levy: €224 p.a. 2013/14
Non-EU (Total): €13,250 p.a. 2013/14
"I feel that the DBS will be a stepping stone in my academic life and firmly believe it will help contribute greatly to my study of another strand of the business learning curve."
DBS Graduate 2009
"I found the DBS course to be an excellent all-round informative introduction to business and finance, which offered a broad and challenging range of modules. It was extremely beneficial to progressing towards a career in business."